- What’s your least favorite thing about writing?
You have to be in the right state of mind to write. Sometimes it comes and sometimes it doesn’t.
- Which author would you like to have a drink with (Dead or alive. Them, not you).
- Who is your favorite author that you don’t know personally? Who is your favorite author that you do know personally?
My favorite authors are Toni Morrison and Jane Austen. My favorite author that I know is my grandmother Jean Zaru. She wrote “Occupied with Non-Violence: A Palestinian Woman Speaks.”
- What about your discipline (fiction, poetry, etc) do you wish you were better at?
I wish I were better at self-editing.
- What kind of creative rituals or patterns do you have?
I listen to one artist for several days – their whole body of music – and I get into a certain zone.
Bonus question: if you could put a tunnel under any building leading to any other building (geography notwithstanding – this is a magic tunnel), what would you do?
I would put a tunnel from my apartment to my grandmother’s house in Palestine.
Be sure to come out and hear Deena read on Tuesday, November 14th at Charmington’s, 7pm sharp.