- What’s your favorite thing about writing?
That moment when an idea emerges in my brain and it feels exactly right.
- What is your favorite genre to read, and is this also your favorite genre to write?
Fiction, although sometimes I enjoy reading and writing non-fiction too.
- Describe your ideal writing situation (think writing space (Office? Shed? Attic?), routine or no routine, snacks available).
Ipod on shuffle, tea at hand, laptop that does not overheat. A few projects that are very different in tone, setting, approach so that I can switch around if I get stuck on one.
- What is something you would love that your readers know about you as a writer? (That you love cats? That you edit pieces literally 1,000 times before they see the light of day?)
When I start a novel I rarely know much about the plot, because I like to read books that surprise me, and writing books that surprise me is, possibly, even better (see answer to #1).
- What is your most re-read book, if any, and why?
Probably LotR, but that’s just because I re-read it SO MANY TIMES as a kid. If anything could challenge it maybe Jane Eyre?
Bonus question: May is National Hamburger Month and National Egg Month, among other undoubtedly more important observances. Thoughts?
Mayday special: hamburger with a fried egg on top.
As another LotR fan, I salute you. Come out to Charmingtons on Tuesday, May 9th and hear Malka and our other wonderful readers at Writers & Words!